5.16.2012

To return or not to return?

You are shopping down the high street/mall/whatever , looking through racks and racks of clothing but nothing really strikes you as perfect. Then you stumble upon a pair of pants that look okay, and because you are disappointed that you couldn't find anything better, you decide to purchase the pants in order to feel like that little shopping spree wasn't completely useless. You now get home, chuck the pants at some corner in some room and 3 days later decide that a) you didn't like them that much in the first place, b) they don't even fit well (aka your thighs look "huge") or c) you thought they would go perfectly with a certain shirt but, oopsie daisy, your colour coordination is not as good as you thought it was. Next thing you know you are on your way to the shop to return them... Where did I leave the receipt dammit!?

This returning things you buy really doesn't make sense to me. I mean, you buy something you don't like that much, so you don't feel like you wasted your time going shopping in the first place, but then end up wasting even more time because now you have to go all the way back to return the item! I'm just saying that people shouldn't buy things they are absolutely not sure about! Hell, when I see a pair of shoes I just adore, I wait about a month to see if I'm still daydreaming about wearing them pretty things on my feet (but that almost always bites me in the ass, cause when I finally decide to buy the damn shoes they don't even stock them anymore! Dicks!).

Obviously we all have our little impulsive buys, but I think that only happens when people are feeling down, and retail therapy is always allowed in my books (but don't go crazy).

Now I dislike with all my heart trying on clothes in shops. I mean who wants to strip off when you spent hours in the morning making sure that your tucked in shirt looked perfect, and now that you tried on a stupid summer dress you have to give up all that hard work and just shove the shirt into your pants! I mean you can't just spend all afternoon in the changing room (and for those bitches who do, don't wonder why everyone is giving you evils when you finally come out, you did make them wait a whole half hour), its like shopping etiquette, but that shall be left for another post, maybe. HOWEVER, as annoying and uncomfortable trying on clothes with just a piece of fabric or wooden door separating you and the public is, you should do it. Silly girl, you can't tell just by looking that it will fit you perfectly (but if you really can teach me).

I don't know, I just don't like the way people are just buying crap they don't actually like or really want. Most of the clothes I own (I say most because I will admit there are some 'wtf is this' pieces in there) I actually have some sort of connection to. I once had a pair of pajamas that I got when I was about 8, and I loved them so much, that even though the years went on and they started getting holes, I still didn't want to throw them away. Now this is kind of embarrassing to admit but I have no shame, they were amazing (I did end up throwing them away, but when is something I will take the to grave).


I think that what I am trying to say here is: Don't waste your time and buy something you are just going to return later. Make sure you really really love it and that its something timeless. And if its expensive make sure it goes with EVERYTHING in your closet, haha. Or just keep buying and returning stuff you don't really care about. Your choice.

P.S. Online shopping is completely different though, you don't get to try the clothes on... (maybe the material is super itchy?) If I get something in the mail and I end up looking like a whale, I'd return it too.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment